Friday, January 2, 2009

My own personal avalanche

This is kind of a funny story. The roof on my house is metal so the snow tends to slide off the roof a little bit at a time. It's really a pain sometimes. I really dislike where it falls in front of my garage. Last year I moved into this house in February and there was a icy speed bump formed right outside my garage. I really couldn't do much at that point. This year I've tried really hard to keep it cleaned up so it doesn't have time to freeze and create the same problem. It sucks because as it slides off the roof and hits the ground it packs down the snow. As you can imagine , it's pretty heavy at this point. So Monday night I hear a bunch of snow slide off the garage (it makes quite a noise, sometimes it's a little scary). It was a warmer day and the night was still warm so I figured I'd go out in a little bit and clean it up. A little later another loud crashing sound but this time from off the roof of the house. Now as it slides off the roof of the house it has to slide off the awnings over the windows and the porch. Well there was so much snow up there (see previous post) and because it was warm, all the snow came down at once. As my kids were looking out the window to see what happened I noticed the snow had ripped the awning off the big front window. When I got outside and was looking at what happened with the landlord we saw that the awning also hit the window and cracked it. Fortunately, the front window is double paned so it's not allowing cold air to enter the house. My landlord has taken care of everything so we're OK. It was a pretty crazy night!


These aren't great pictures, but you can get the idea.

I hope everyone had a great New Years! Love you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that happened! That's crazy. The kids look really cute playing in the snow. Love ya!

Angie's Giggles said...

I'm glad the damage wasn't worse. Did your landlord put up a new awning? The kids pictures are cute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for good information that comes out to

read.